Saturday, December 6, 2008

Beached Santa


Beached Santa
Originally uploaded by brenda.pirie
Every October our town in San Diego (La Mesa) holds an Oktoberfest that is one of the largest on the West Coast. When I was a kid in high school it was small with fun things to do and a few craft booths. The beer garden complete with the oom-paa band was small, it always packed but you could always find a seat. There was a booth set up like an old jail and for 50 cents you could have
someone "arrested". Well, my friends thought it would be fun to do that to me! I got thrown in jail and did my time with a drunk band parent. I'll never forget Mr. Mountain...he was always so normal on the band trips, and here he was drunk off his ass. It was so funny!

Today if you go to the Oktoberfest, it's crowded beyond crowded, no parking, almost entirely craft booths, the beer garden has a line and is expensive...and of course there's no "jail". I guess another example of how things change, huh?

Anyway, I bought this guy at one of the Oktoberfests when Mike and I were first married. It's one of the few ornaments that doesn't have a date on it, but I'd estimate it to be in 1992 or 3. In case you're sight-challenged like me...it's a star fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment