Sunday, October 12, 2014

A Knitting History. Mine.

It's Sunday morning.  The house is quiet, family and pets still abed.  Nice word, huh?  Anyway, I thought I'd post on the blog.  I got to thinking about my first knitting projects. Back then, like most knitters, I knit with acrylic yarn and just picked patterns I loved and knit them. Well, tried to at least.

My first project (early 80s) was a pair of slippers.  I don't have them, or any of my early projects, but here's a photo and the pattern still active today and on Ravelry.
I remember holding two strands together, a dusty blue and light blue, straight needles...and adding a pitiful pompom on the top. I made many pitiful pompoms till I learned how to make an awesome pompom, mostly by trial and error.  I love a big, fluffy, dense pompom. Bet you didn't know that about me. The pattern was in a booklet my mom had, she knit them with me.  We quickly moved along to other projects. But this was the first. I learned the joy of starting and finishing a project.  Many of my first projects didn't get finished...but that's another story for another day.

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother made slippers like these (pompom included), when I was a kid. My cousins and I would always look forward to a new pair at Christmas. She also made me my first pair of slippers when I was born! I treasure those little treasures!

    ReplyDelete