Saturday, January 17, 2009

JaxKnits Rocks!!!

We had the greatest Meetup last night! Our Fearless Leader came up with the idea to have a teach/learn to knit night at a local restaurant. It was held at Ragland's in Five Points. It's a cute place, pretty good food, lots of kinds of beers, etc. We had an entire room to ourselves which was awesome. There was a fun "icebreaker" activity that got everyone up, walking around and chatting with each other. I met so many new gals who seemed happy and excited to be there...and there was plenty of time for us "old"members to chat, too. The not-so-awesome part was the room was freezing cold! It's been so cold here in the Sunshine State the past few days. Sunshine state...ok, the sun is shining but it's bitter cold (for here anyway). Later in the evening some gal came yelling and cussing, making trouble for somebody, I guess. They threw her out and called the Police. Weird. Anyway, other than that the evening was a blast! The two gals I sat with in my role as "teacher" were super sweet and funny. I just love showing all the trick of the trade to the newbies. I was so thrilled they picked up Continental knitting so quickly...no credit to my teaching skills; these ladies have talent!
Mike in Danny's Hat.

I also finished my first item of 2009...not at the meetup, on Thursday night. It's Danny's hat and I had to guess at the yardage because Donner gave me a label-less skein. It was very exciting to actually put some yardage on that 'ole Knit Meter I tell you! I just downloaded Corrina's Beachcomber Socks pattern....wahoo! I'm dying to cast on, but I'll wait until I get my current UFOs under control.

Today I got the funniest phone call from Jodi. She was in St. Pete at the Barnes and Noble and met another knitter who told her the yarn shop Needles and Knobs was just a couple miles away. She needed a little pep talk to keep away from any yarn buying temptation. No worries...I talked her down. She's determined not to buy yarn until April...I'm behind her all the way! I know she'll return the favor when I find myself in a moment of weakness.

4 comments:

  1. So- something wierd happened. I was at the antique market and found what I think is a spinning wheel bobbin or an old spool blank full of yarn. I bought it for three dollars- It is NOROish in blues yellows and greens. It smells good, no signs of moths. Sock weight I am guessing 200-350 yards. I bought the spindle and the yarn was free! I have rationalished this. I could not help it it looks like noro. The FIBER GODESS is rewarding me- I was so close to a yarn store in St. Pete & in Mt Dora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reads like you've just had a triple shot of espresso! So much energy and enthusiasm. Very fun to read - and very fun to click on all you links! I h ad to miss our knitting group on Friday because of Jury Duty, but I have been able to get a good amount of knitting done while there, so I'm not feeling deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brennee, Danny's Hat on Mike looks great! So sorry about the labeless wool...never gave it a thought. However, I knew Queenie could come thru!! Danny's going to love wearing his new hat, handmade by one of our most fun, freakin' friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brennee, Danny's Hat on Mike looks great! So sorry about the labeless wool...never gave it a thought. However, I knew Queenie could come thru!! Danny's going to love wearing his new hat, handmade by one of our most fun, freakin' friends!

    ReplyDelete