Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sunday Fun in DC

Sunday was so fun! Mike and I took the Metro into DC, Dupont Circle to be specific. Since this was the first time for both of us to visit that part of the city, we were super excited! The main purpose of our visit was to visit Looped Yarn Works, a yarn shop on Connecticut Avenue, just off Dupont Circle. One of my favorite designers, Alana Dakos of Never Not Knitting is on her East Coast Tour for her lastest book, Botanical Knits...and she was visiting the yarn shop for a book signing!  Woohoo!  
We arrived early so we went for a walk to take in the sights.  The actual "circle" has this lovely fountain at the center.  On this beautiful Sunday morning we got our fill of people watching...families out in the park, residents decked out in shorts and tennis shoes with reusable bags in hand ready for shopping at local stores and farmer's markets, couples out for the morning heading to brunch and much more.  The area is filled with restaurants and shops...
A friend of mine told me about this book store, KramerBooks.  There is a bar and restaurant inside...not a restaurant with a bar, but a stand alone bar-bar.  Very cute! When I saw my friend at knitting, she said she was there Saturday night and the window was intact...so sometime between then and Sunday morning....well, you can see the damage.
So after we walked around a while, it was time to visit the yarn shop.  It's upstairs in an adorable old building (they're all old and adorable). As we were walking to the door, I saw a car pull up and guess who got out...Alana!  OMG, it was a total celebrity sighting for me.  I'm bumping Mike's arm and saying, "That's her! That's her!" 
So when Alana was settled in and ready to roll...I approached the desk.  I was a little early so there weren't too many people around.  She was SO nice! Well, of course she would be, she's a knitter, a mom, a regular gal! We had a nice chat about her business, family, etc.  It really was a treat for me to meet someone who I really admire from the knitting world...she's a mom and runs her own business (with her hubby). Her patterns aren't just beautiful, they are very well written and fit wonderfully. Her books/patterns are beautifully presented. I've knit three of her sweaters, also shawls and mitts and love them all! Her leaf/nature motifs are so charming...I can't resist them! 

The yarn shop is so cute! Small and compact but full of beautiful yarn lines.  I picked up a skein of Malabrigo Rios in the Volcan colorway to knit a hat from Alana's book...but in my celebrity sighting frenzy, it's the wrong weight.  Should have been DK for the pattern not worsted.  Oh well, I'll knit something else and look for some DK in the future.  

It was a great day!  Hope your weekend was fun too.



No comments:

Post a Comment