Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Remains of the Rot Chick

I'm a list maker.  Oh yes, I make a list for everything.

We always have a list going for the grocery store, Target, etc.  And I abbreviate most everything.  Rotisserie Chicken is "rot chick".  Now my story:

Recently I saw a bit on the Today show, or maybe it was the Food network, not sure, anyway it was about using those rotisserie chickens.  I mean using the whole thing.  What? I usually pick it clean and toss it out.  You know you do too, come on, admit it.  Well today I did something with the, um, remains.  I've been calling it the "carcass" but my husband gets visions of buzzards and road kill when I do, so I'm using a more "tasteful" word.  (Pun intended.)

I took the remains, threw it in a stock pot along with a couple big carrots, some celery (leaves and all...good flavor there, you know) and a couple onions (peeled, and chopped in half).  Then I threw in a couple bay leaves, a couple rosemary sprigs (from my garden), S & P, garlic, saffron, a splash or two of worcestershire and the kitchen sink.  Ok, maybe not the kitchen sink.

Brought the whole brew to a boil, dropped it back to a simmer and covered it, letting it cook for an hour or so. I pulled out the big chunks and strained the rest...Now I have wonderful home made stock to make chicken soup tonight.

Sweet!

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!


1 comment:

  1. I always make stock from chicken carcasses (and others!) - so much nicer than store-bought stocks and guaranteed to be gluten-free. If you don't feel like making stock right away, you can freeze the carcass and wait till you have another one to get a more intense flavour. I also have a bag in my freezer where I put the veggies for stock: you know, those slightly limp carrots or celery that are leftover from another recipe - they are great for stock!

    ReplyDelete