Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Turkey Day!

Here in the US, today is Thanksgiving!  In my family we usually start the day with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (watching it on TV...but someday we may go to NY and see it in person, who knows?).  Super fun to watch, especially now that we're closer to the action. And watching football...and football pools.  I'm so happy that our family is still included in my Dad's football pools...it makes football watching so much more fun.  And we all feel more connected to our family far away in California.

Then there's the question of the day, "When are we gonna eat?"  Because today is mostly about EATING!

Ok, yes, it's a day to be thankful too.  I'm thankful for many things...my list probably looks a lot like yours.  It's my favorite holiday because it's about family and just being together...no presents, no crazy prepping (except food shopping) and hanging out.

Well, I'm not sitting and knitting all day...I'm cooking!  It's really an easy meal to make, I think.  We eat the basics...turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberries, croissant rolls, green beans and a salad.  Pies for dessert...I made a chocolate one and bought an apple pie.  One glitch though...the turkey is still a bit frozen.  I've had it in the fridge since Sunday and it's only a 14 pounder...should be ready to roll but still a little frozen.  It's in the sink in some water to help it along right now. I'll do some defrosting and as long as it's in the oven (stuffed) by 9am we should be eating around 2 or 3pm.  I have a cheese ball and crackers to feed the family while they're waiting.

Joey asked me yesterday what the hardest part of cooking Thanksgiving Dinner was....I told him, "Getting everything to come out at the same time."  No problem!

I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful.

Oh, almost forgot!  Today is my favorite day of the year to take a walk.  I have many memories of Thanksgiving Day and being out walking around my neighborhood...be it La Mesa, Pacific Beach, Fleming Island or Annapolis, it's a special day for looking at the world.  Go check it out for yourselves.


1 comment: