Ten on Tuesday is all about this past three day weekend. Memorial Day, taking time to remember members of our military who have fallen in the line of duty. An extra day to play! And the start of Summer!!
1. I tried to make caramel. Epic fail. No, really epic. The idea is to make caramel from a can of sweetened condensed milk that is unopened, cooked in the crock pot. Here's what I did wrong:
Didn't take the label off the can. Ok, not that serious an error but DUH.
The can should be on it's side.
(probably most important) The crock pot should be on HIGH not LOW.
Cook for 8 hours (on high) not 10.5 hours on low.
And if you decide to take the lid off the can and cook it longer...be sure to cover it with foil or something. Water condensates and will drip into the can making it impossible to make caramel. Epic fail, um, yeah.
I'm trying this again today, the right way. We'll see if it works.
2. Mike, Justine and I went to the National Arboretum. Justine really wanted to go, so we went. The weather was so nice and there weren't as many carpenter bees as before so I was happy. Anyway we had to see the Bonsai garden again.
I am so amazed by these trees!! Almost any tree you can imagine and be a bonsai tree. I didn't know that, I thought only one particular kind of tree could be a bonsai tree.
3. We noticed there were tea bags on the soil of many trees. Here's why:
4. A new area for us to visit at the arboretum was a circle park, surrounded by mini gardens all with a theme: Colonial Garden (what colonial gardeners would have planted), Medicinal Garden, Fragrance Garden, etc. And the Dye Garden!
5. We brought lunch and had a nice picnic in the National Grove of State Trees.
6. While at the arboretum, Justine modeled a couple scarves I recently finished so I'd have some cool photos to post. She's a good sport and a great knitwear model.
7. Mike and I had a nice canoe ride on Monday. It was late in the afternoon. It seemed every dock at people sitting out, enjoying the day. Usually we're on our own and don't see many people, I guess the holiday brought everyone out. The tide was quite low so we didn't go too far into the inlets. We did check out both osprey nests on platforms above the water and saw one osprey dive into the water about 20' from us and grab a fish. So cool!
8. We had a great lunch date on Monday with our friends! It was funny, we had two failed attempts at restaurants closed for the holiday...but finally found one open. Yummy middle eastern kabob type food and good company.
9. Saturday I went to knitting, like I always do on Saturday. This time Mike drove me so he could have the car. Joey took Mike's car to work. Yeah, you heard that right...Joey is working at Target now!!
My knit friends: I didn't see your car?!
Me: Yeah, today I have a chauffeur!
10. Mike grilled burgers!
Canoeing, sunscreen and burgers...yup, it must be summer.