Monday, October 26, 2009

Triathlete speaking...

That was how I answered my phone all day yesterday: "Triathlete Speaking!"

Jen and I showing off our tri muscles.

We got to the festival too late the day before the race for our corndogs and funnel cakes.
In case you haven't figured it out...a cooter is a turtle.

Brennee's boo-boo.

We had such a great time at our Triathlon yesterday!!
The air temperature in the morning was a cold 56 degrees so we were scared to death that the lake would be freezing. Turns out that the temp of the lake was 77 degrees. Not bad at all, really. My wave (that's the group of people you're racing with) went in the water at 8:08 am. Official race start was 8:00 a.m. I was so scared...and excited! I couldn't do one stroke of freestyle, my breathing was so hard. So I swam the back stroke and side stroke...and even dog paddle! Whatever it took to get it done. Jen started four minutes after me, caught up with me and we exited the water together! I hit my toe on something under the water and got a gash under my left big toe. I thought it was a "cyprus knee" but after talking with Jen's husband, he thought it was probably a rock because cyprus knees are usually smooth on top. What ever it was, it hurt. I didn't let that stop me. Are you kidding!? I made it through the swim...I can do anything now!
The bike was just great...beautiful course! It was through neighborhoods and on a Rail Trail (that's an old rail line that's been turned into a walking/biking/running path). We both thought we'd freeze on our bikes with the air temp being so cold, but neither one of us was cold at all. Nice! On the exit of the bike, you have to dismount and walk/run your bike into transition. There was a crowd of people cheering the racers great, really lifted my spirits even higher and gave me energy to keep racing. The truth is, I was so happy to finish the swim, I could have climbed Mt. Everest! I had a stupid grin on my face for the entire race.
Then the run came last...I ran the entire thing!! My best time for a 5K yet. I was still damp, but the sun was shinning and I was so happy...I felt so comfortable. Even with that cut on my toe! I was keeping my eye out for her on the run, knowing that she would already be out there because she would have beat me on the bike. She found me...I didn't realize it was her because of the shirt she was wearing. We crossed each other just after she had turned at the half way point. Then I finally caught up with her just before the finish line and
My time: 1:46:22
Jen's time: 1:42:22
Can you tell I still have that silly grin on my face?
I couldn't have done it without Jen and Becky.
And the support of my family.
I'd also like to thank the Academy...


  1. Yeah!! Sounds marvelous and YOUNG!!

  2. Congratulations to the triathletes!

    I hope the toe heals well and I'm not surprised it didn't stop you!